*Mental – Anxiety, “sense of impending doom”, lethargy
4. The most serious type of a reaction is called “anaphylaxis”. If reaction is left untreated, anaphylaxis may result in death.
5. Management of food allergy and anaphylaxis:
a. There is no cure or preventive medication for food allergy.
b. Avoidance of the food allergen is the only way to prevent a food allergy reaction.
c. Prevention of food allergy is achieved by reading ingredient statements on every food product and avoiding products with the offending food allergen.
d. Avoidance of cross contact of allergen containing food to a non-allergy containing food during food processing or preparation.
e. A student with known food allergy should notify school staff and bring his/her healthcare provider’s written instructions and prescribed treatment for managing food allergy.
f. A food allergy plan will be developed and implemented for the student.
g. Food Services staff, nursing and teachers will be notified of student’s allergy and receive education and copy of the food allergy plan for the student.
h. Parents will be asked to provide Epi Pens for the student to manage a food allergy reaction in the school setting.
i. Nursing staff and other trained staff will administer Epi pen as directed/ordered by the physician.
j. Students who have been trained on use of the Epi pen may carry their own Epi pen and administer as needed. Student shall inform teacher and school nurse on use of the Epi pen.
k. Epi pens may also be stored in the health clinic.
l. Field trips will be discussed with student, parent and staff to decide on appropriate strategies for managing the food allergy.
6. In the event of an allergic reaction in a student, the Parent/Guardian will be notified.
7. EMS will be called to continue management of student experiencing food allergy reaction.
8. Emergency Standing Orders – The Medical Advisor for the School District will provide emergency standing orders for the management of food allergy reaction in a person with no past history of a reaction, and no personal physician orders. These standing orders will be reviewed and approved annually by the District.
9. Allergy Bullying – All threats or harassment of student with food allergy will be taken very seriously and will be dealt with in accordance with District Anti- Bullying policy.