Purpose: Por Vida School District is committed to a safe and civil educational environment for allstudents, employees, volunteers and patrons, free from harassment, intimidation or bullying. Harassment, intimidation or bullying means any intentional written, cyber, verbal or physical act, when the intentional written, cyber, verbal or physical act:
· Physically harms a student or damages a student/staff’s property; or
· Has the effect of substantially interfering with a student’s education; or
· Is severe, persistent, or pervasive that it creates and intimidating or threatening, educational environment; or
· Has the effect of substantially disrupting the orderly operation of the school.
Nothing in this policy requires the affected student to possess a characteristic such as gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation or physical characteristic, that is perceived basis for the harassment, intimidation or bullying.
Policy: The Board of Por Vida School District has determined that a safe and civil environment is necessary for students to learn and achieve high academic standards. Harassment or bullying, like other disruptive or violent behaviors, is conduct that disrupts both a student’s ability to learn and a school’s ability to educate its students in a safe environment. Harassment, intimidation or bullying can take many forms including: slurs, rumors, jokes, innuendos, demeaning comments, drawing cartoons, pranks, gestures, physical attacks, threats, or other written, oral or physical actions. “Intentional acts” refers to the individual’s choice to engage in the act rather that the ultimate impact of the action(s).
1. The Board of Por Vida School District expects students to conduct themselves in a manner in keeping with their levels of development, maturity and demonstrated capabilities with a proper regard for the rights and welfare of other students, school staff, volunteers and other contractors.
2. This policy is not intended to prohibit expression of religious, philosophical or political views provided that the expression does not substantially disrupt the educational environment. Many behaviors that do not rise to the level of harassment, intimidation or bullying may still be prohibited by other district policies or rules.
3. Counseling, corrective discipline, and/or referral to law enforcement will be used to change the behavior of the perpetrator and remediate the impact on the victim. This includes appropriate intervention(s), restoration of a positive climate, and support for victims and others impacted by the violation. False reports or retaliation for harassment, intimidation or bullying also constitutes violation of this policy.
4. The Por Vida School District Board requires the principal and/or the principal’s designee at each school to be responsible for receiving complaints alleging violation of this policy. All school employees are required to report alleged violation of this policy to the principal or principal’s designee. All other members of the school community, including student’s, parents, volunteers and visitors are encouraged to report any act that may be a violation of this policy.
5. The Por Vida School District Board requires the principal and/or the principal’s designee to be responsible for determining whether an alleged act constitutes a violation of this policy. In so doing the principal and/or designee shall conduct a prompt, thorough and complete investigation of each alleged incident. The investigation is to be completed within three school days after a report or complaint is made.
6. The Por Vida School District Board prohibits reprisal or retaliation against any person who reports an act of harassment or bullying. The consequences and appropriate remedial action for a person who engages in reprisal or retaliation shall be determined by the principal after consideration of the nature, severity and circumstances of the act.
7. The Por Vida School District Board prohibits any person from falsely accusing another as a means of harassment or bullying. The consequences and appropriate remedial action for a person found to have falsely accused another as a means of harassment or bullying shall be disciplined in accordance with district policies.
8. The Por Vida School District Board requires principals to annually disseminate the policy to all school staff, students and parents along with a statement explaining that it applies to all applicable acts of harassment and bullying that occur on school property, at school –sponsored functions, or on a school bus. The principal shall develop an annual process for discussing the school district anti-bullying policy with staff and students.
9. The school shall incorporate information regarding the policy against harassment or bullying into each student handbook and employee training program/handbook.